02 March 2005

In Like A Lion...

Out Like A Lamb. A saying about March, and though I'd never heard it before, the Lion bit seems about right. Freezing swirling sleet, slate-grey sky, everybody sick.
Today was supposed to be the start of my spring offensive - redrafting The Apprentice, after leaving it to stew since September, when I had to jump ship to write The Visitation for Radio 4. Best laid plans. After picking up Spike from playgroup at lunch-time, I took to my bed and didn't surface till 5.30, headachey and nauseous, and worried I've got this stomach bug that's on the rampage.
next morning...
Surfaced refreshed after further nine hours, crashed early after a distinctly odd evening, feeling buggy and stoned. Graham from upstairs knocked at 11 to give us the news - It's A Boy.
So today, looking at Apprentice, and tonight, going to see Mercury Fur at the Choc Factory with R and her sister H the film critic...
This represents a sea-change from the life I've led the last couple of years, the life of an isolated depressive. As Dr.Melfi says, and I paraphrase, with today's pharmaceuticals, no one need suffer unnecessarily. Of course, I know people do suffer ill-effects from these little helpers. And some. But they're working for me, right now, so praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

No comments: