05 May 2005

All Fools Day

Shortly off to vote for gorgeous, pouting Diane Abbott, but with a heavy heart.
Yes, I'm "angry about the war" (DA voted against it). Let me be a little more specific - I am astonished and dismayed and not a little frightened at the trashing of international law to make way for a politically driven invasion. The law is an ass, says Anthony Blair and the coterie. No, coterie's not right. Thugs? Thugs. The law is an ass, they say. And it clearly is, because although aggravated burglary will get you locked up, the same crime on a gargantuan scale, when advertised in advance as "regime change" will not. If it hadn't been for the strange death of Dr.Kelly so little of the machinery driving policy would have been visible.
Disheartening to see Gordon Brown give a Yes to the question, would you have done the same, after only a split-second's hesitation. Of course, he was on the spot and could do nowt else. Here's hoping we at least get an active cabinet sometime in the next four years.

On a lighter note... found a blog by a public school teacher, David Smith, who clearly has too much time on his hands, but there's an excellent piece on the lost treasures of classical literature in the news recently. And an ace picture of Barrie Rutter and Tony Harrison, to boot.

Going to that Pizza Express in Soho tonight where the jazz people do their thing. I know next to nothing about the genre but Paul's filming a doc on the pianist Mose Allison so I'm going along to hear him and share a marinara with Svetlana. Then back for the swingometer.

ps I almost forgot. Getting off the bus outside the BAC on Tuesday - I was there to see/hear sketches from my friend Michael O's new opera, Midsummer - I nearly walked straight into John Prescott, who was having a photocall with a candidate outside the local party hq. Anyway, he's really quite little. I could 'ave 'im, I thought. Alas there was no one to hold my coat, so I went to the opera instead.

3 comments:

David said...

Thanks for the link! For 'too much time on his hands', read 'sleeps very little'. One day, I'll keel over …

Enjoying your blog and am very interested to learn about your work. I heard The Visitation in February (I think) and enjoyed it.

Do you know Coetzee's Foe? I taught that, alongside some others of his, to a class now nearing their final exams. Revisiting it with them recently, it was more moving than I'd remembered it as being — it's one of his drier works, but was clearly ticking away inside of me all this time.

sbs said...

David - I do know that book, it's
astonishing and I want to adapt it sometime.

very pleased you liked The Visitation.

look forward to reading more of your site. is it Radley that does a play in Greek every year? is it open to the public?

David said...

Stephen, it's Bradfield. I see there's a link here.

Email me via my weblog and we could perhaps explore getting you over to Radley at some point soon — if this would be of interest to you. I try to get poets and other artists in and it would be great to have a playwright!