12 August 2005

Les Liaisons Dangereuses v.4.0

Went with S to Sadler's Wells to see another adaptation of the Laclos bodice-ripper. It's such a great story, it's frankly mysterious why it hasn't been done as a dance piece before (do contradict me if it has, I'm genuinely curious). And where is the opera?
Adam Cooper was the star and director/choreographer. He was wonderfully expressive, has great stage presence, and I was genuinely moved at his Valmont's distress after the suicide of Madame de Tourvel (played by Cooper's wife, incidentally, Sarah Wildor).
Interesting to go with S, who writes about dance - she had press tickets - as Cooper clearly has a very vocal following and the evening felt at times like a private party.

So that's the fourth excellent version I've seen of a book I haven't read.
For the record, the others were:
The Christopher Hampton stage play, with Alan Rickman and Lindsay Duncan
The Stephen Frears film, with Malkovich and Pfeiffer
The Manhattan Rich Kids version - 'Cruel Intentions' - with Sarah Michelle Gellar and Ryan Philippe (first saw that when I was on Vancouver Island - yay).



Me and S rounded off the evening with a drink in the Old Red Lion.

3 comments:

Jane said...

Ooh I am VERY keen to see this. There's something about good ballet that hits me right in the guts... not quite sure why. It's just viciously beautiful. That final scene in Billy Elliot, where Adam Cooper (I think it's him, anyway) leaps out onto the stage as "grown-up Billy", is just breathtaking - and only a couple of seconds long. Have to wonder how anyone can better Malkovich (born to play that role, surely), especially with no words to chew on, but I'm willing to give it a go.

sbs said...

Finished on the 14th sad to say, but I'm sure it'll be back...
I don't think anyone in this generation will compare with Malkovich, in any medium.

I must go see more dance.
Always regretted not going to see Michael Clark in his pomp.

RLN said...

Seen the Japanese movie version? I'm really curious about it. Didn't play here in our bland commercial cinema. (C'est la vie pas dangereuse, il apparait.)