16 September 2005

The Adventures of Dirk Warrington, Christmas 1978



I have a scanner now, so look out. First up is me in the school panto, but which is me? The school was St.Francis Xavier's College in Liverpool. It was a grammar school back then, devoted to giving boys - only boys - a sound academic grounding, bracing afternoons on the football pitch, Jesuitical instruction in the mysteries of faith, and a whack on the hand with a ferula (trans, leather strap) if you stepped out of line.
I've been invited to a reunion next month, but I shan't be going.

5 comments:

Ova Girl said...

Ohhhhhhhhh! WHY NOT?! Why wouldn't you want to remeet such a wholesome group of lads?!

sbs said...

It's not so much the lads, as the institution. This was the only drama I ever did at the place, which tells you something. That's me as the cat, by the way.

Julian Richards said...

Ahh, you should have made them try a bit harder! But can the folks spot which one is the cat? "I Asda mice..." That ever-empty stage (the lights, the curtain wings, the peeling painted backdrop, never used - I sometimes wonder how much I've dreamed, or daydreamed) is something I've often reflected on, too.

sbs said...

Blame it on the olfactories but my strongest memory is the smell of the science labs, bunsen burners and all that - and I never even did f***ing chemistry.

Paul Shingler said...

The only drama in 7 years, Stephen?...On the under-used stage, perhaps. Julian, if you read this, I still have the guitar...my 11 year old son is now busking around the house on it!He's the same age that we were in 1978...gulp! I Asda mice...hehehe...the most memorable gag of the show;I can remember it and I never even saw the panto!!!