16 November 2005

Relatively blue today. Post-show dip, I suppose. Plus my mobile was pickpocketed yesterday. As I deliberately buy the cheapest phone on the market, there's some satisfaction in that the cretin who lifted it will be very disappointed. It ain't worth shit.

Hard isn't it, sometimes, not to dwell on the people who didn't show to your party/birthday drinks/short play evening? Instead of those who did and so deserve to be dwelt upon.

One more thing, re Gillian Anderson in Bleak House. Yes, she's unconscionably beautiful. Yes, I've thought so since the first series of The X-Files. But did I know she was a genius actress? Not till last week, when her character, Lady Dedlock, listened to Guppy's 'evidence' linking her to Esther Summerson, and it hit her like a train that the daughter she'd given up all those years ago was still alive. It hit her, but she held her facade together, till Guppy left. Then she crumbled. And then, reader, I burst into tears.

5 comments:

spindleshanks said...

don't be down - it was a great evening and there are always no shows. bummer about the mobile though xx

sbs said...

cheers mate. just bought myself a present (9 quid opera ticket for tonight) so am suddenly feeling much better...

thewebloge said...

Watch Andersen in The House of Mirth!

Urban Chick said...

post-show blues? snormal, no?

perhaps you can take solace in the fact that culturally-challenged little moi came, saw and had a good time...

:)

sbs said...

UC - so pleased you liked the eve. not everyone's cup of tea! (+ digestive)

webloge - I know, this is what B tells me, she saw The H of M in the cinema and has nudged me toward it ever since. What am I waiting for?