19 January 2006

I was hoping to see Stallerhof again last night after my bar stint, but the Playhouse was packed to the gills. Which is as it should be, it's a brilliant show. In her production Maria Aberg conjures an atmosphere of dread and longing, delight and disgust, that pitches the play into Buchner territory. The set and sound design are perfectly tuned to FX Kroetz's piece. What more could you want?

You say 'break a leg' to an actor on first night, or press night, as any fule kno. But what do you say to the writer? Break a pen? Break a broadband internet connection? 'Have a good one', I suppose.

So have a good one, Elizabeth. She's a friend from way back and it's press night of her play The Sugar Wife later, at the Soho Theatre. Hope it goes well for her. I saw the first night and it's a terrific piece of work, some very strong writing, darkly poetic, at once muscular and delicate.

Reminded also how much I like the space - it's a wonderful place to play in. So am of course willing pm to success in his bid for the post of a.d. there.

5 comments:

pm said...

Thanks, sbs!

spindleshanks said...

do you reckon there are tix for saturday night at the southwark or is it sold to the rafters like every other show in this godforsaken town (at least the ones i want to see).

sbs said...

D'oh, 'course it's sold out.
But they'll put you on a list for returns.
And double but, go to see the Stella Feehily play at the Court instead, looks great, and I think there are still tickets for Sat (I booked for the Sat after)

Anonymous said...

Strange - to me it feels cramped and claustrophobic. The audience is all above the actors. The back wall is too close. It's fine for detailed naturalism, but otherwise there's no space to let the imagination fly. It's odd you like it - the extract you put up from your work makes it seem you'd want to work in a theatre without walls.

But best of luck to Ms Kuti who I met long ago...

sbs said...

yes, I know, but of the black box devils we know, I find it very congenial. I just feel I can concentrate in there.
Ideal space for The May Queen? somewhere bigger, for sure. At the Southwark reading there was quite a crowd on stage...