12 January 2006

Rose, the Doctor and a Desert Island



We'd missed out on the actual live transmissions of the 1st series of the new Doctor Who. Simply because we'd cocked up the vcr-ing of the first episode. But our time has come, and thanks to Islington Library Services we're ploughing through the series on dvd. An unmixed joy, then, but not the only recent tv highlight - we've been besotted with Lost, which came to its 'season finale' last night.

It's the mix of Robinson Crusoe, the synchronicities, the well-crafted (however far-fetched) back stories, the beauty of the island, and the gung-ho character acting. Love it. Come to think of it, the far-fetchedness is what gets me. Like Doctor Who it's consistent in its absurdity, delights in it. And some of the twists have been genuinely frightening, as in actual nightmares one might have had, where something comforting or familiar or welcome suddenly, horribly morphs...

2 comments:

glyn C said...

Lost was fantastic. And a writer I was talking to yesterday who's been doing a little bit of dodgy downloading got me very excited about season two. Even better to come...

Harriet said...

Lost - I'm lost without it. Glad its coming back in the spring. I was amazed by the level of anxiety it gave me. Also felt empathy with all the characters even the ones I think we were supposed not to trust (like Lock and Sawyer).

Loved Doctor Who. Thought they brought it back to its best (my best was of course Tom Baker) having lost it in the 80s when it became silly.