13 April 2006

First Night

That was a funny evening. I'd booked for The Royal Hunt of the Sun months ago, and was pleased to have a seat for press night, not having been to one at the NT before. What I didn't realise at the time was that the first night of Trevor Nunn's revival of Peter Shaffer's epic clashed with that other first night - of Passover, which is always marked in B's family by a big get-together and meal. Royal Hunt started at 7, and the meal I knew from past experience wouldn't start till at least 8.30, as the prayers and songs came first, and as I'm not even slightly Jewish I reckoned it permissible to skip them just this once. So I split my evening in two - I saw the first half of the play then dashed across town to eat with the in-laws and extended family. Well it seemed like a good idea on paper. I have no scruples about leaving plays at the interval if something's really not agreeing with you, but actually planning to leave a show halfway through is just perverse, I know that now. It's daft and I shouldn't have gone in the first place.
For the record, I saw several of the critical persuasion - Billington and Shuttleworth, Spencer and Morley. Not that I'd recognise all of them.
My review will have to wait till I've seen the second half.
But Simon and Debbie's chicken with apricots was a triumph, I can tell you that much.
Then when I got home, a little review all of my own.

4 comments:

David Eldridge said...

I wondered where you had gone. I spotted you before and thought I'd come and tell you how much I enjoy your blog but alas...

Anonymous said...

and what a load of tosh 'royal hunt' turns out to be...there some strange magic in the way mr shaffer takes this fascinating story, and irons out all the drama, and the politics, and the complex psychology - so we're left with cardboard characters and lifeless argument all realised at length by mr nunn in best student theatre style (with strobes! and sheets!). nice costumes, though i kept waiting for widow twankey to come on to liven things up a bit..

spindleshanks said...

second half way better than first embarrassing effort though - at least the actors were given a bit of space and left alone to get on with it. and who thinks putting a few big plastic plates on a shelf looks anything like filling a room with gold? now that was bad.

sbs said...

DE - cheers for that. You probably saw me looking near and far for someone - spindleshanks, as it happens - but I failed to hook up with her too. One of those nights. Hope your Southwark pressnight's gone well tonight and good luck with yr Olivier show too.

Anon - well, I'll reserve judgment for now but I know what you mean about the strobes and sheets...