17 April 2006

One Of The Thieves Was Saved

Last Good Friday I was at Westminster Cathedral being slightly overwhelmed by the narrative of sacrifice and humility in the Passion story; this year I went to Waiting For Godot at the Barbican. There's not much I can usefully add to the mountain of words written about Samuel Beckett's masterwork, so I won't try, beyond observing that the back-and-forth, sing-song talk between Didi and Gogo in this pedigree production was beautiful, music to the ears, and spun a web of intimacy in that cavernous theatre. Contrasted with that, the disorientation of the action of the play, a thick air of helplessness, as in a bad dream.
Incidentally I watched the whole thing with an eye-wateringly painful headache.

On my ownsome all this weekend as B and the boys are in Bristol with her parents, so Saturday I did my first shift as duty manager at Southwark, and I'm back to do the bar tonight. As barman I'll be able to nip in to see the show, which is David Eldridge's early play Summer Begins.

Very good to have the flat to myself for a short while, but looking forward to having them all back tomorrow, not least so B and I can carry on with our second viewing of Bleak House, on dvd this time, as when it was on telly in the autumn we lost the plot when we went to Trieste.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.themanwhofellasleep.com/index.html

(Nothing to do with Beckett etc., just kind of liked it.)

Anonymous said...

Pozzo more stumped by his lack of vocabulary rather than overwhelmed by the infinite awe of the twilight .... a masterpiece turned into a museum-piece

Anonymous said...

Just thought I should point out - that last anonymous wasn't me. It reads like a bit of a nonsequitur, doesn't it? I'm the anonymous with the themanwhofellasleep link (inc. photos of female Israeli soldiers etc.) Accept no substitute.

sbs said...

Well that's alright anon. I did guess there was a new writer but thanks for the clarification. Though you know, there *is* a way you anons can avoid the hazard of the unintended non-sequitur...