14 September 2006

Everything Must Go...

Ventured down to the Angel this evening to get one or three presents for Spike - the beautiful little man is 4 tomorrow. Anyhoo I'm coming through the door when my phone goes off. I leave it to go to answerphone and when I check it it's a message from a stranger asking me to call my father-in-law. But nothing sinister - I knew Richard was at the show with B's Mum, and soon realised I knew the voice as that of Simon Hughes MP, Southwark patron (and an acquaintance of Richard's through London politics). I called back and had my ears tickled with praise, the show had obviously gone very well tonight.
As indeed it did last night, when I was there with my Mum. I'll give a fuller account soon, but for now I must say all thanks are due to Charlotte. She's given the play a zing and a swing that keeps it funny and fresh and smooths over the blemishes in my plotting. And the kids! I was bowled over by the kids. Three teenage girls and one younger boy, Hectoria, Kadiatu, Josephine and Charlie were simply brilliant. Flawless and funny and so very engaging - and so a credit to Ellen Hughes, youth director on the show. Looking forward to seeing it again tomorrow, on this bitter-sweet night, when we must say Goodbye, Southwark Bridge Road...

No comments: