12 October 2006

Luckily for me, the first show I saw after my lay-off was Robin Hooper's beautiful play, Not The Love I Cry For. Appetite whetted by director Paul Miller's blogging about the play and production, I went along on Tuesday, a few hours after having a tooth pulled. But I was able to forget my aching jaw and immerse myself in a quietly wonderful tale of East London life. The acting was uniformly handsome, as much in their silences as their speeches, revealing themselves in gestures, looks, turns of the head. Nick Tennant's performance was a fine example of this, at one and the same time understated and brilliant. Paul is a champion of 'tenderness and benevolence' in contemporary playwriting - here he puts his money where his blog is, and gives Hooper's play the rendering its tenderness deserves.

A digression on reviews. I know this is quasi-reviewing, not the real thing. But it's fine work and I thought I'd say so. I used to write up most of my playgoing, particularly the good ones. But no one's paying me!, sometimes I just don't feel like writing about something I've seen. My blog, my rules.

2 comments:

pm said...

That's really very kind indeed SBS. I am so pleased that you like the play and the acting - especially that it is in the looks and the silences (turn of the head in a space like this can have the same impact as a helicopter landing on the Drury Lane stage).

And I agree about 'reviewing' things on the blog. What we say goes!

sbs said...

Or indeed the same as Air Force One coming in to land at the Coliseum...