04 December 2006

I Haven't Got A Stitch To Wear

I've switched to the new, even easier to use Blogger, and I like it pretty fine. The only downer being the loss of all the links I've painstakingly added the old skool way, over the past getting on for two years...
Anyhoo I'm slowly adding them back - but if there are glaring omissions, if I've missed you (or a link you like) please just prod me and I'll get to work.

Meanwhile I'm off on a trip to Liverpool tomorrow wherein I'm going to have to look presentable, and my wardrobe is calamitously dishevelled, so I'm off to town a bit later to try and find some clobber wherewith I can be presented, I did try French Connection in the revamped Brunswick Centre at Russell Square on my way here (library) but lovely as some of their stuff is, I'm getting ever warier of looking like a midlife-crisis on (denim-clad) legs - I'm forty on Saturday.

And yes it is a work trip but I'm honour-bound not to say anything yet...

I will say this though, I went to Dennis Kelly's play Love and Money at the Young Vic and I thought it was extraordinary. His writing is so nimble and free, with a sharp sort of demotic wit darting through it, and deep skies of serious thought louring over it. David Eldridge has written a cracking post today about metaphysicalists versus literalists, in response to the heartfelt piece on the subject in Encore. For my (love and) money, DK treads an interesting line between 'isms'... I agree with DE that there's quite a detached quality to Love and Money, and I'd add that there's a Zola-like (Zolaesque??) vein of cruelty there too. But it's grist to his mill, I think, as he grinds out a cumulatively moral tale of materialism and its discontents. And that last scene is moving as well as brilliant.

4 comments:

Andrew Eglinton said...

That's funny, I live just next to the Brunswick Centre, often go to Senate House library (I presume that's what you meant by 'library'), probably even crossed your path...a small world indeed.

sbs said...

I walk up to the British Library.
Have re-added your link!

Al said...

Are you a British Library fanatic. I spend my whole life in here...in fact I am here right now (why is the internet here so expensive). If you are about, let's have coffee. Al

sbs said...

Al - wifi's expensive all over and it's ridiculous. It's only affordable if you buy huge chunks of time, then the rate's somewhere near acceptable. My brotherinlaw T lives in Estonia and he says cafes etc over there provide wifi free just as they provide chairs, loos etc. Whereas over here it's treated as a luxury, and we pay accordingly. Meanwhile Estonian cafes thrum with business.
Anyway yes let's meet!