07 July 2007

Stephen is...

...in the library, listening to African music on Resonance, working on the first stave of A Christmas Carol, struggling with a head-cold. Yeah I was supposed to head off to Bristol on Thursday, just as soon as I checked out Spike's primary school - he starts at Grazebrook, across the park, in September. A couple of politicians and the fashion editor of a national newspaper are among our fellow parents, it seems. What comes of living just east of Islington, I guess. Anyway in Bristol I was to settle myself in at B's parents' holiday flat and unplug all communication devices and just write. Adapting Dickens. What a lovely job. But instead, as I say, I've been kept on a low energy setting by this stoopid common-as-muck cold. Don't want to stray too far from home. It means I get to see the boys and hang out with B in the eve, of course. Productivity is currently, however, not as stratospheric as I'd been planning for my Brizol sojourn.

So instead of nosing around Facebook I shall go back to the play.

Oh and after I finish drafting each one of the five staves I'm going to post something daft here as a present to myself (which you can share with me, if you like)...

3 comments:

rivergirlie said...

completely off topic - i thought that 'poor old robinson crusoe' thing was a figment of my imagination - i've never met anyone else who knows it.
it is the 'he made him a coat of an old nanny goat' thing, isn't it?
please tell me i'm not making it all up?

sbs said...

Wow, sorry it's taken an age, I took the title from Joyce's Ulysses and I'm posting the relevant passage right now. And yes he in turn surely took it from the old folk song, as was his way. thanks for bearing with me.

rivergirlie said...

oh dear - as usual, other people's cultural references are all stratospheric, while mine are ... well, frankly babyish. still, it confirms i wasn't making it up.
i'll bet you know - is it true that joyce had very tiny feet and that beckett - by way of ommage - went through a phase of wearing shoes that were far too small?