30 October 2007

Just had lunch with L at RADA. Actually L ate lunch and I drank coffee. She's directing a Moira Buffini with final year people there. Cycled to town, through Highbury (past the Emirates) and the dusty busy streets round the back between Camden and Euston, with their half-decent cycle lanes.
Pleasantly befuddled about what exactly I'm working on. I mean, it's clearly CLOUDCUCKOOLAND, in the middle of writing that. But many miles to the north my Dickens script is in rehearsal. Wish I could be there more often, going back a fortnight tomorrow to see them running it before they get into the tech rehearsals the following week. (Can't wait to see it in the theatre, Neil Murray's design is to die for.) And this morning, got the studio script through the post, KEPLER'S MUM'S A WITCH gets recorded this weekend. I'll go in for the readthrough Saturday morning. It goes out on Radio 4 early December.
And what then? A bit of thumb-twiddling. A bit of a reading list. I've got a posh attachment to a theatre in the spring, more about that anon, and the Aristophanes will no doubt need polishing up before it goes on in February. But beyond that there's a whiff of unemployment in the air... Have had a great run recently, no grumbling, it's probably only right by the laws of the freelance universe that I have a lean period coming to me. And it'll actually be good to have some thinking time, free of deadlines. But not too much of it. Eyes and ears will be open and when not typing the fingers crossed for what in the poker universe they call an ace from space.

What else? Our Buzz got expelled by his childminder this morning. Hope it's not a sign of things to come, delinquency and all that. Only kidding, it's just a touch of the old separation anxiety. Happens to the best of us.

Congrats and well dones to our colleague Ben Ellis, by the way. I caught his very fine, sensitive, moving (but with a lightness) piece, The Final Shot at 503 on Friday night. Worth the saddlesoreness - 3 and a half hours round trip by bike!

2 comments:

Simon Treves said...

Hello Stephen - I stumbled on your blog by accident. It's amazing what happens when you Google 'Kepler's Mum's a Witch'. I just wanted to say what an utter joy your script was to do. I feel very lucky to have been given such a great role in such a genuinely funny play. Liz Webb kept encouraging us to go further and further with it: I just hope we didn't trip over the other side. Please write more plays like this and insist that I'm in them. Thank you again.

sbs said...

Simon thanks, the tenner's in the post.
But SERiously, I've heard some of it now and it is, though we say so ourselves, a hoot. Great work from you all. Hope we get a chance to do another sometime!